Vacancy for — Youth and Lay Worker (with responsibility for Youth and Young Adults Work)
One of the leading Methodist Churches in the country, KMC is seeking a Youth and Lay Worker to work alongside our Minister Rob Cotton to build on a range of ministries developed over recent years.
You will have the chance to:
· Focus on the spiritual development of the 11-18 age range
· Build new ministries of discipling young adults, as well as supporting the families of young people
· Take responsibility for the further development of our Alpha, Sunday Night Live Worship, School assemblies, Prayer and Praise activities
The role is full time, with a salary of £22k per annum.
The deadline for applications is Friday 29th November 12noon, and the proposed date for interviews is Saturday 7th December 2019.
You can find us at www.kmc.org.uk
To find out more, contact Rob Cotton (Minister) on 01565 652251 or via firstname.lastname@example.org.. Below is a detailed job description:
Role description : KMC Youth and Lay Worker (with responsibility for Youth Work and Young Adults)
Responsibilities of the role
1. Christian teaching, pastoral care and discipling of young people (11-18) through both regular midweek/weekend discipleship and regular Sunday input
(The primary focus of the work is KMC, particularly in the early months. In addition, there will be some limited and specifically defined responsibilities for working with ZAC’s House, which will be agreed with Rob Cotton and Neal Stanton).
2. Sourcing and arranging access to appropriate Christian Youth teaching/discipleship opportunities beyond KMC.
3. Evangelism and engagement of those without a church background in the 11-30 age range, with appropriate gatherings for more vulnerable Young Adults.
4. Responsible for the development and delivery of ‘Sunday Night Live’ as part of the programme of Sunday evening activities
5. Coordination and assist in delivery of the Alpha programme either once or twice per year.
6. Development of KMC’s capability, (recruitment, training, support and management), to deliver excellent and innovative youthwork, by the building and equipping of local youth work volunteer team(s)
7. To formulate and put in place methods for integration of Young People and Young Adults into the wider Church family; by developing links between Young People/ Young Adults and the wider congregation.
Identifying opportunities for young people to grow and develop their gifts, talents and skills in roles within the Church. To foster leadership potential within Young people and Young Adults.
8. Utilising the talents/interests of the job holder – Development of a sports ministry/Youth band/creative arts etc amongst young people and young adults.
9. Building relationships with families of young people (11-18) and Young Adults, enabling ongoing links and communication with those involved with pastoral care of parents and families.
10. Secondary school liaison, including “Listening ear” and assemblies
11. Input into our Community Outreach, in particular the vision to work with young people with mental health issues
12. Maintain an up-to-date database of Young People, their parents and Young Adults.
13. At the reasonable direction of the KMC minister, other tasks may be added as appropriate, by mutual agreement with the job holder
14. Use of the database to communicate regularly, and in advance, the weekly youth activities timetable. Creation and provision of a termly plan of action and activity list that will be distributed, in advance, to all those the activities are relevant to.
A mature Christian with a track record and ‘heart’ for working with young people
An excellent communicator both one to one and to groups, with the ability to relate across the full spectrum of church members
Well-developed pastoral and mentoring skills
Evidence of creativity and innovation in the development of fresh ways of communicating the gospel and developing young people in their faith
Skilled in building and leading teams and equipping volunteers to develop the church’s youth work capability
A team player, willing and able to contribute as part of the staff leadership team to the wider work of KMC and to support the Minister,Rob Cotton
A competent administrator
The appointment is for an initial three years.
Whilst the appointee will be an employee of the Alderley Edge and Knutsford Circuit, the remuneration will be totally the responsibility of KMC. The appointee will report to Rob (Minister, KMC).
This is a full time (37 hour/week) role for which the recommended salary is £22kpa.However, KMC is open to a range of approaches, (full-time/part-time), as to how this role is undertaken and would welcome those discussions with interested applicants.
The job holder has discretion to live outside of Knutsford if preferred, but a consistent and visible presence in the town is a core requirement of the role.