Our History

KMC with spire

Knutsford Methodist Church has been opening its doors on Princess Street since 1864, and in the town for many years before that. John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, preached in the open air in Knutsford in 1738, on the steps now preserved in front of the church.

Since then, the church has been a place of worship for the town, a place of welcome to all, and a centre for support to the local community. The church has continued to grow from those early years, welcoming people from all over the world, and sending many out across the world to help those in greatest need. Our vision is to be Christians who passionately share the love of God.

a. The early days

a. The early days

On 20th March 1738, the Rev. John Wesley preached for the first time in the town…

b. The first chapel

b. The first chapel

The chapel was built at the lower end of the Market Place, near the “Moor”. This…

c. The new chapel foundations

c. The new chapel foundations

In 1860, some sixty four years after the opening of their first Chapel the Knutsford (Wesleyans)…

d. The new chapel

d. The new chapel

The Opening of the New Chapel & Sunday School The new Chapel in Princess Street was…

e. The chapel to the present day

e. The chapel to the present day

The style of the Chapel is Early English Gothic, built to a rectangular floor plan, 63…

KMC and Knutsford Royal May Day

KMC and Knutsford Royal May Day

KMC has a long tradition of supporting Knutsford Royal May Day, one of the great traditional…

Load More